6.9.06

job information

Here is practical information concerning my job search.
Today I had an interview at a new frame gallery. I would be selling art, frames, and learning how to make frames. It would be nice to be around art and people making things all day. I think it went ok.


Tomorrow I have an interview at a coffee house (not starbucks) called Beanology. John and I went there to have coffee last weekend when I turned in the application. It is a cute place, but a little sterile. It's almost like, what if Wendy's were decorated in black and gray, and had regular lights instead of flourescent. It would be a job, and probably not a bad one.
Low pressure... I could probably wear jeans and t-shirts (instead of something suite-like). For some reason, that sounds great. Maybe it is because whenever I go shopping for 'work clothes', nothing really fits the way I would like it to. I have one nice pair of gray pants that pretty much has to go with everything. Ok...I admit it, I tried to use some of the Macy's gift cards we got to buy clothes. I was thwarted by the fact that Macy's does not carry clothing that fits me, unless I want something with pink hearts and stars and ribbons on it.
Seriously.


I am also going to stop by this other place, www.bagettes.com. It's a place where you send them a digital picture, and they transfer it onto fabric and make a bag out of it. Pretty cool. A little cheesy, but cool. Apparently it's a famous company, but it's located in Overland Park, KS (suburb). They are looking for someone to cut and press fabric, and maybe do some sewing... It would be a good opportunity to learn some things about working with fabric to improve my sewing skills. The pay, however is only $7/hr. Imagine working a whole day and only coming away with $50. yikes.


Thursday, I have a substitute job set up to go in for a Jr. High math teacher. She's giving tests the whole day, so it should be a breeze. But it will finally be a little money earned off of something besides selling things through the internet (like books, the futon, and my blood... just kidding! i haven't been selling my blood over the internet--i don't think that's legal.
but maybe I should check into it... just kidding, i'm not really going to check into selling my blood over the internet or anywhere else).


oooh!
i knew you were scrolling down, just to see if i would put a picture of blood.
heeheehee.

5 comments:

Tammie's Thoughts said...

You are toooooo funny! Hope you read my e-mail about Hallmark and checked it out...sounds like it could be interesting and you could use your artistic and/or language talents. Love you lots!

john/laura said...

you ought to see the application process to be a writer for hallmark.

it is about 5 pages wherein they ask you to write several different kinds of short poems.

but the thing is, most of them have to sound sincere. and for some reason i have a hard time sounding sincere when it's mandated by someone else.
i guess, if i knew they would hire me, i would put some energy into it. but they probably wouldn't... (i'm sure they get tons of applications- there are so many people who think they are great writers who probably also apply for this job).. so it's hard for me to care that much about it.


on a brighter note, i ended up subbing today and it went well. i also am probably getting hired to do the translation job, through which i could be employed for up to a month or so. that's exciting.

Tammie's Thoughts said...

Hooray for you!

Leanne and I had a family session together to night and then I had a family session by myself. I am so grateful for my Philly training! Both went great!

Artist-Tim said...

Freelancing like the translating job is fun, but not steady. It works when you don't really need the money, so it never worked for me.

I used to buy clothes in the "boys" department at Dillards. Cheesey colors, short collars/shirt tails, and goofey little buttons. No cuffs on trousers and pockets too shallow to hold my hands, much less my keys. I am like you in that the challenge is finding clothes that fit my body and my taste.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to fly out to Abeline, TX tomorrow to see Jack Maxwell's new sculpture. He unveils it on Saturday, and it is supposed to be about 30' tall. I guess I can't buy it and bring it home in my plane.

Any of the jobs you are looking at, Laura, sound good, but the $7/hour one is definately out. Just remember that when I started working for Harding University mowing grass, I made $50/week. That's when a dime bought a cup of coffee and a donut. Yum.

Have a great weekend!

john/laura said...

yeah.... considering it costs at least a dollar these days to get coffee and a donut, someone was paying you $500/week to mow lawns.
Either that, or the quality of coffee and donuts has been excellent in the past couple of years, which is the only thing that would warrant such a price increase!
I guess maybe it is just that simply knowing how to speak in a foreign language is not very valuable to anyone but me. (and to you when we go to europe together)


all about our milkshakes

My photo
we like to go the park, play, go to crema for treats, and to have fun.