6.12.06

What's the point?

A note from a very good student in my Christianity and Tyranny course:

"By the way, let me tell you how much I've really enjoyed Yoder's book. To be honest, the other ones I could care less about, but his argument is so interesting! Its a really good choice for the syllabus!"

This semester we've read: Augustine, Aquinas, Luther, Roger Williams, John Locke, Reinhold Niebuhr, Gustavo Gutierrez, and John Howard Yoder. This student could care less about them all, but for Yoder!

3 comments:

Tammie's Thoughts said...

Do you mean what's the point in even trying to get them to read all the other authors and stretch their thinking? You could look at it like at least she got the point from one of the other sources besides the Bible.

Can't wait to see you during the holidays!

Allen, Sarah, and Luke said...

I dig Yoder as well. I'm guessing it was "Politics of Jesus"?
-Allen

john/laura said...

Allen: The Politics of Jesus, right.

Tammie: You're assuming they had any actual contact with the Bible when I assigned readings from it and discussed it. The readings from the Bible were no doubt the most difficult of the semester, and I think I probably failed to get them to really look at it. But I guess I could still take your point: at least someone read something. It's just depressing to think that a class full of students probably got next to nothing out of a course I worked harder at than any other in my teaching career!


all about our milkshakes

My photo
we like to go the park, play, go to crema for treats, and to have fun.