13.1.07

Conference on Heresy, Blasphemy, and Freedom of Expression

I'm heading off to a conference at the University of Central Florida this Thursday. The conference is on Heresy, Blasphemy, and Freedom of Expression. These issues have received interest from folks interested in ethics and communication, given the issues raised by Muslim outrage over unflattering depictions of Muhammed.

In my paper, I argue (surprisingly perhaps for those who know me) that blasphemy should be taken seriously, but that it's not strictly concerned with the divine. For instance, Ward Churchill, the phony Native American UColorado professor blasphemed, I think, when he said that those in the WTC on Sept. 11, 2001 were 'little Eichmanns.' My argument for that claim is in the paper. Also, there's a succint overview of Thomas Aquinas's views on blasphemy, on which I draw. Anyway, here it is:

Blasphemy Paper

3 comments:

Tammie's Thoughts said...

John,
I'm in California and have not taken time to read your paper - not that I will understand it anyway, but have fun in Florida and good luck with your presentation!
I know you'll do a great job!
Love you lots!

Marianne said...

John, The scarey thing...Ward Churchill is probably related to us. It seems all Churchills in the U.S. are distantly related to my family. Good luck with your paper...it looks great!! Enjoy the warm weather, relax and have a good time.

Love you, Mom

Artist-Tim said...

Hey John, I throughly enjoyed reading your paper, and I share much of what you are saying. Maybe with some semantical difficulties.
It seems that no matter where you are in the world humanity shares the core values of family and community and the creation of legacy. We find our place in the epic story, and that deepens our value for self and each other. Could the political agendas blaspheme against those universal core values when they become violent or oppressive? That violates all of mankind at some level because it is end defining outside of the individual's values. Or, are we blasphemous when a storm kills several people, or an airliner crashes with many casualties, and we do not pause out of respect and consideration of the loss when none of those lives are people in our families or known dearly as friends?
It is interesting that the tragedies of 9/11/2001 are evaporating from the collective memory. That is sad.


all about our milkshakes

My photo
we like to go the park, play, go to crema for treats, and to have fun.